Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Beans?

Bearded dragons are a popular and beloved pet, known for their unique appearance, playful behavior, and ease of care. While these lizards require a diet largely composed of insects and vegetables, there is some debate as to whether green beans should be included in their diets.

In this article, we will take an in-depth look at the potential risks and benefits of feeding green beans to bearded dragons so that pet owners can make informed decisions about what they feed their pets.

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Green Beans?

The short answer is yes, bearded dragons can eat green beans. While there is some debate as to whether they should be included in their diets, green beans are not toxic to bearded dragons and can provide them with a range of essential nutrients.


  • Nutrition: Green beans are an excellent source of vitamins A, B6, C, K and fiber.
  • Hydration: Because green beans contain significant amounts of water, they can help keep your bearded dragon hydrated during periods when other food sources may be limited.


  • Choking hazard: Green beans have a tendency to break apart easily into small pieces which could pose a choking hazard for smaller or younger beardies.
  • Gas production: Like many vegetables, green beans can produce gas when digested. This gas can cause discomfort and digestive upset in some animals, so it’s important to monitor your pet closely after feeding them green beans.

Choosing the Best Greens for Your Bearded Dragon’s Daily Diet

Greens should be part of your bearded dragon’s daily diet. The best greens to feed your beardie are ones that are high in vitamin A and calcium, low in oxalates, and easy to digest. Here is a list of some of the best greens you can offer your pet:

Collard Greens

  • High in Vitamin A
  • Low in Oxalates
  • Easy to Digest

Mustard Greens

  • High in Vitamin A
  • Low in Oxalates
  • Easy to Digest

Turnip Greens

  • High in Vitamin A
  • Low in Oxalates
  • Easy to Digest


  • High in Vitamin C & K, Iron & Calcium
  • Low-medium Oxalate Content (depending on variety)

Benefits of Feeding Green Peas To Bearded Dragons

Green peas are a great food for bearded dragons. They provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber that help keep these lizards healthy and happy. There are many benefits to feeding green peas to your pet dragon, including:

Nutritional Value

  • Vitamins & Minerals: Peas contain various vitamins such as A, B-complex, C and K along with minerals like iron, calcium and magnesium.
  • Fiber: Peas are high in dietary fiber which helps promote digestion and regularity.
  • Protein: Peas provide an excellent source of plant-based protein that can help supplement the animal proteins found in other foods.

Providing a Healthy Diet for Your Bearded Dragon with Vegetables

Vegetables are an essential part of your bearded dragon’s diet. They provide important vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that your pet needs to stay healthy. There are many different types of vegetables available for you to feed your pet, so it is important to make sure they are getting the right kind.

Types of Vegetables to Feed Your Bearded Dragon

The best vegetables for your bearded dragon include: collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, bok choy and endive. You can also offer occasional treats such as bell peppers or carrots. It is important not to give them too much fruit or sweet vegetables like peas or corn.

How Often Should You Feed Vegetables?

It is recommended that you feed your bearded dragon 1-2 times per day. Each meal should consist mostly of leafy dark green vegetables like those listed above (at least 60% of the diet). The remaining 40% can be composed of other items such as fruits and insects.

Preparing Vegetables for Your Beardie

  • Wash: Before feeding any vegetable to your beardie it is important to wash them thoroughly using water only (no soap). This will help get rid of any dirt or pesticides that may be present on the produce.
  • Chop: Once washed you need to chop up the vegetables into small pieces so they are easier for your beardie to consume. Avoid large chunks as these could choke them.
  • Steam: Most veggies should be lightly steamed before offering them to your beardie in order to make them more digestible and reduce bacteria levels.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, green beans can make an excellent treat for your bearded dragon. They provide essential vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to their health and diet. Be sure to feed them in moderation and watch out for any signs of digestive issues after feeding them this food item. With proper care and the right diet, your pet will enjoy a long and healthy life!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top