Bearded dragons are one of the most popular pet lizards, known for their calm temperaments and ease of care. But how old is your bearded dragon? Determining a bearded dragon’s age can be tricky, but with some basic knowledge and observation it can be done.
This article will provide an overview on how to tell the age of a bearded dragon, what to look out for while aging your reptile, and other factors that may influence the process. Read on to learn more about this fascinating creature!
How Old Is My Bearded Dragon?
Bearded dragons reach their full size around 18 months of age and typically live for 8-10 years. The most accurate way to determine a bearded dragon’s age is by examining the growth rings on its scales, which are formed every time it sheds its skin. By counting the number of growth rings present, you can estimate how old your bearded dragon is.
Observing Your Bearded Dragon:
In addition to examining the growth rings on your beardies scales, there are other physical characteristics you can observe that may help you accurately guess its approximate age. These include:
- Size: Younger dragons tend to be smaller than older ones.
- Coloration and Patterning: Baby dragons usually have very bright patterning with lots of orange or yellow coloring in contrast to adults which tend to be darker and less colorful.
- Activity Level: Younger beardies tend to be more active than their older counterparts.
Age Requirements for a 17 Inch Bearded Dragon
When purchasing a bearded dragon, it is important to consider the age of the animal. The size of your dragon will also help you determine the age. A fully grown beardy is typically around 17 inches long, so when buying one it’s important to make sure that it is at least this length.
Signs of Good Age
- Tail Length: A good indication of age can be seen in the tail length. A proper-aged Bearded Dragon should have a full and lengthy tail.
- Body Weight: An adult Bearded Dragon should have an appropriate weight based on its size. Too light or too heavy may indicate problems with the health of your dragon.
- Behavioral Patterns: Adult dragons tend to be more comfortable in their environment, less skittish, and they are usually more active than younger ones.
Monitoring Your Dragon’s Age
It’s important to regularly monitor your dragon’s age so that you can provide them with adequate care for each stage of their life. If you notice any changes in behavior or appearance that are not typical for a healthy Beardie then seek veterinary advice immediately.
Understanding the Size of a 3 Month Old Bearded Dragon
Bearded dragons are popular pet lizards that can grow up to 24 inches in length. But at just three months old, they’re much smaller! Knowing how large your bearded dragon should be at this age will help you ensure that it is growing properly.
Average Size of a 3-Month Old Bearded Dragon
At three months old, most bearded dragons are between 4 and 6 inches long from nose to tail. They may also weigh around 15-25 grams. This size range can vary slightly depending on the species and environment.
Factors That Affect Growth
Several factors influence how quickly a bearded dragon grows, including:
- Diet: Bearded dragons require an adequate diet, which includes both insects and vegetables. A well-balanced diet helps promote healthy growth.
- Environment: A comfortable habitat with proper temperatures and humidity levels encourages proper growth in your beardie.
- Genetics: Your reptile’s genetic makeup may affect its size – some breeds simply don’t get as large as others.
Bearded dragons are fascinating creatures that make wonderful companions. Knowing the age of your bearded dragon can help you better understand and care for them, as their needs change depending on their age. By looking for signs such as size, coloration, and behavior, you can get a good estimate of how old your pet is.
If you are still unsure, taking your reptile to a qualified veterinarian is the best way to get an accurate assessment of its age. With proper nutrition, regular vet visits, and plenty of love and care, your bearded dragon will be with you for many years to come!
Alexander is the owner of AnimalQnA. He is a pet lover. He has created this blog to share some of his knowledge on different kinds of pets.