Why Is My Bearded Dragon Glass Surfing?
Bearded dragons are beloved pets that bring their owners joy and happiness. Unfortunately, they can sometimes display odd behaviors like “glass surfing.” If you have ever seen your bearded dragon running up the glass walls of its enclosure, you may be wondering why it is doing this strange behavior and what you should do about it. In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about glass surfing in bearded dragons so that you can better understand your pet’s behavior and take appropriate steps to ensure its health and safety.
Why Is My Bearded Dragon Glass Surfing?
Bearded dragons can glass surf for a variety of reasons. One common cause is that they may be trying to find a way out of their enclosure, especially if they are feeling threatened or stressed. They could also be chasing after prey, such as an insect on the other side of the tank. Additionally, some bearded dragons simply enjoy running up and down the walls for fun.
Signs to Look Out For:
- Scratching against the walls
- Running rapidly along the edges
- Flattening itself against the glass
The Benefits and Risks of Glass Surfing for Bearded Dragons
Glass surfing is a natural behavior that bearded dragons will often exhibit in captivity. This activity can have both benefits and risks for your pet, so it’s important to understand the pros and cons before deciding whether or not to allow it.
Benefits of Glass Surfing
- Glass surfing provides mental stimulation. Like any other activity, glass surfing helps keep your bearded dragon mentally active, which can help reduce boredom.
- It also encourages exercise. Moving around the tank forces your bearded dragon to move his body more than he would when just lying still on the ground.
- Finally, glass surfing allows them to explore their environment more thoroughly. By climbing up the side of the tank they can get a better view of what’s going on outside of their enclosure.
Risks of Glass Surfing
- Your dragon could hurt himself if he jumps too far or falls from a height that is too high for him to handle safely.
- He could also injure himself on sharp edges or rough surfaces inside the tank (such as heaters).
The Unfamiliar Sensation: What to Do When Your Bearded Dragon Scratches at Glass
Bearded dragons have a unique behavior of glass surfing, which can be concerning for pet owners. This is when they press their noses against the side of the aquarium or terrarium and move around as if swimming in water.
What Causes Glass Surfing?
Glass surfing is usually caused by one of two things; either your bearded dragon is trying to get closer to something it sees on the other side of the glass, such as prey or another animal, or it could be due to boredom. It’s important to understand why your bearded dragon might be engaging in this behavior so you can address any underlying issues that may be causing it.
How To Prevent Glass Surfing
If your bearded dragon is glass surfing out of boredom, try providing them with more enrichment activities by giving them items like branches to climb on and hide under, toys for them to play with, and plenty of space for them to explore. You should also make sure their habitat has an appropriate temperature gradient and UVB lighting so they can regulate their body heat properly. By adding these elements into their enclosure you will help keep them entertained and less likely to engage in this behavior.
What To Do If Your Bearded Dragon Is Still Glass Surfing
If your bearded dragon continues glass surfing even after enriching its environment then there are some steps you can take:
- Check For Prey – Check around the aquarium or terrarium carefully for any bugs that may have gotten inside.
- Provide Additional Stimulation – Try introducing new objects into their enclosure such as live plants or new hiding spots.
- Replace The Tank – If none of these solutions work then consider replacing the tank with a larger one which will give your beardie more room.
Overall, it is essential to understand why your bearded dragon may be glass surfing and to take the necessary steps to prevent it from happening. Bearded dragons need appropriate temperatures, adequate lighting, and a healthy diet in order to stay happy and healthy. If you notice that your bearded dragon is glass surfing often or if they are displaying other signs of distress, consult with a veterinarian right away for further advice on how to help them. With the proper care and attention, you can ensure that your pet has the best possible living environment and stays safe from harm.
Alexander is the owner of AnimalQnA. He is a pet lover. He has created this blog to share some of his knowledge on different kinds of pets.